The Right Wing decided it wanted to play Monday Morning Quarterback with my lady parts this year. It seems like an odd choice for a recreational activity, especially since there’s no legislative or medical reason to suddenly introduce radically restrictive and dangerous legislation on women’s health and bodies. Maybe someone should introduce them to Pinterest instead.
Here are our Top 10 Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Attacks on Women’s Rights (just in the last 6 months!)
- The Blunt Amendment. Reasonable religious exemptions weren’t enough for Roy Blunt. This amendment would have allowed your employer – not your doctor - to decide what kind of health care you could get based on his or her own personal moral or religious convictions.
- The All-Male Birth Control Panel, or the Man Panel. Congressman Darrell Issa convened a panel to discuss the coverage of birth control – but refused to include any women.
- Susan G. Komen Foundation defunds Planned Parenthood. Komen opted to cut off funding to the largest provider of reproductive health services in the US because of their new VP’s objection to a mere 3% of their activities.
- Rush Limbaugh Calls Sandra Fluke a Prostitute and a Slut. After Sandra Fluke stood up for women everywhere, Rush Limbaugh took to the airwaves and called her a prostitute and a slut for speaking out in favor of birth control coverage. He also said she should have to put videos of her having sex online to compensate the taxpayers who “are going to pay for your contraceptives.” Classy.
- Forced Trans-Vaginal Ultrasounds. Republican legislators in Virginia invited the commonwealth into the exam room when they proposed a bill that would require women seeking abortions to undergo an invasive, medically-unnecessary vaginal probe before their procedure.
- Texas defunds Planned Parenthood. Under Governor Rick Perry, the state of Texas banned funding to Planned Parenthood because it provides abortion services. In the end, though, this fight has only served to hurt low-income women looking for breast cancer screenings, birth control and pap smears.
- Women in the Military Should “Expect” to be Raped. Responding to a 64% increase in the reports of rape and violent sexual assaults in the military, Fox News pundit Liz Trotta responds, “What did they expect?” She goes on to say that there is a bureaucracy of people to support these women who are being “raped too much.”
- Foster Friess Suggests Women Put Aspirin Between Their Knees. Rick Santorum supporter, Foster Friess, reminisced about back in his day when ladies put aspirin between their knees for birth control. Back in his day, people also died of polio.
- Santorum wants to deny birth control coverage because he thinks it’s available and affordable. Despite the fact that most forms of birth control still require a prescription and 1 in 3 women have reported struggling to afford birth control. Santorum feels there is no barrier to access, so it shouldn’t be covered by insurance.
- Mitt Romney doesn’t understand a woman’s reproductive system. Romney has publicly supported “personhood amendments,” which would ban abortion by declaring life begins at conception. When asked about how this affects birth control, Romney seemed to be completely unaware that hormonal forms of birth control stop implantation, not conception and would be banned under any personhood amendment.
And it’s only the middle of March.
Year of the man. Fuck this country.
- feminism-is-important reblogged this from fearandwar
- pizzaneville likes this
- genomroken likes this
- nagelator reblogged this from thesexuneducated
- nnauth likes this
- gatling-bunny reblogged this from therealbitchpudding
- girlwiththekey likes this
- thewomanwilled reblogged this from e-pic
- yasminemahin reblogged this from stopgenderpolicing
- ofthewomb reblogged this from everythingdiesbutme
- cursivebones likes this
- stevensboringblog2 likes this
- pancake598 reblogged this from angel-cake
- feelingiseverything reblogged this from heykirahey
- shitbrisket reblogged this from cashmeresweats and added:
- femintent reblogged this from fuckyeahwomenprotesting
- deadpoetsyachtclub likes this
- vintagepowersource likes this
- xfromarose likes this
- hipsterkidult reblogged this from aimmyarrowshigh
- wornpages reblogged this from fearandwar
- edeavarete reblogged this from carissaignacia
- karleejennifer likes this
- marvel-maven likes this
- h2odinson likes this
- carissaignacia reblogged this from deeeets
- carissaignacia likes this
- deeeets reblogged this from shewillbeloved
- shewillbeloved reblogged this from alone-ranger
- mythoughtstakeme reblogged this from notsayingthisright
- cockrina likes this
- meggggghan reblogged this from juliatopaz
- awkdinosaur likes this
- englishsparkleparty likes this
- gabiediller reblogged this from gabiemiller
- sam-thebassist reblogged this from its-inthestars
- its-inthestars reblogged this from destinyisover
- destinyisover reblogged this from knottybouncydreads
- charliehanson reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- whinybiotch reblogged this from myheartofchambers
- purias reblogged this from tridiculous and added:
- agapeeternal reblogged this from echelonslostangel and added:
- julesmotherfuckingverne likes this
- reindeerandtamales likes this
- breezeitbuzziteasydoesit reblogged this from wellesleyunderground